Last week, I found my male cat, Hermes, having severe breathing problems in the hallway of my house. I rushed him to the vet, but he died a day later. The vet strongly believed it was rat poison due to the foam and blood within his lungs. X-rays clearly showed hemorrhaging.
PIVKA test revealed that he was a 23 on a scale of 8-21. Suggesting that his Vitamin K levels were low, and he could have gotten into rat poison.
Gross autopsy suggested he may have suffered from Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. His heart weighed 33oz.
I have lived in my current house for 3 years. My cats are STRICTLY indoor animals. In this time, I have never found anything..even close to rat poison. I have begun extensive cleaning/searching at the cost of much money, and time..and still I have found no cans of D-con, or little green pellets, or anything else that might suggest an anticoagulant rat poison. I think in the 3 years of having this house, and having my two cats in it..I would have found something by now..either through them suffering, or me finding something.
I took my female to the vet, and apparently she suffers from a vitamin K deficiency as well. Measuring up as a 24 on a scale of 8-21.
She is alive, and being given supplements..and also being watched like a hawk (though confienment is practically impossible. A pure-bred Bengal is a ball of energy, and this one is insane when placed in a kennel).
So my questions come to this: What else could have caused the PIVKA test to reveal vitamin K deficiency in a seemingly healthy cat, let alone two? What -should- I be looking for when I search for Rat poison? How much rat poison would it take to kill a cat? If it was, indeed, rat poison, wouldn't it show up as an even LOWER level of Vitamin K in the blood?
My vet is persistant in his belief it was poison. I find myself forever doubtful through lack of evidence..and it is causing me much stress and mental trauma.
Thank you all for your time.
X-posted many places..